Done

 Round 1, Game 7: Habs vs. Leafs

Simon B

You know what. Who cares? Right. 

I'm not going to break down any of that game because the Leafs gave a pathetic effort throughout. If it was just this single loss I'd be frustrated and upset. But this is just another link in the lifelong chain of game 7 defeats. So I'm basically numb to it.

In my last post, I mentioned all the playoff losses I've seen over my time as a Leaf fan and it's funny because every time I had a different reaction.

In 2013, it was pure shock. It was such a big blow that no one knew what to say or think. In 2017, I was fine with the loss, they shouldn't have even made the playoffs and they took the president trophy-winning Washington Capitals to 6 games. It was house money. In 2018, it was a disappointment. They weren't the best team in that series against the Bruins but they had a legitimate chance at winning but they couldn't. In 2019, I was mad. They were the better team and they had a chance to close the Bruins out in game 6 on home ice and they couldn't, they full-on blew it. Last year, I understood that that team wasn't good enough to win. They were weak and careless on their own end. They annoyed me all year (pre and post-Covid) and it was the cherry on the turd for their lackluster season.

Then there's this year. This year I feel acceptance. I've accepted defeat. They blew the lead but I'm not surprised, or mad, or annoyed. It's just the way life is. In years past I've gotten really upset and I've lingered on the losses and was a miserable dude for a few days after the loss. But now I understand that life goes on. I've got my end-of-term exams coming up, the Euro starts in less than 2 weeks and the Jays are in the midst of a heated division race. The Leaf's losing is just another unwanted stop on this long journey called life.

I've been thinking about why they lost and what they need to do to avoid this. The answer to the first question is so simple: they need to be motivated. Chris Cuthbert said during the broadcast that the leaf needs to find a spark. The issue here is that they can't. It seems like they will never be motivated by anything. By the time there were 10 minutes left in the game, it looked like all of these guys had booked their flights to Florida and were already thinking about their tee time at the golf course. For the second question, I think that there are two options. Run it back with this same group (more or less) and just try to get over the hump next spring or make big blockbuster moves to shake everything up. 

If they take the second option they need to make a Kawhi Leonard level trade. For years the Raptors couldn't get past LeBron and the Cavs it was starting to get ridiculous. President Masai Ujiri dealt the team star DeMar DeRozan to the Spurs for Kawhi Leonard. Then we all know what happened, they went on to win the NBA Championship. If the Leafs wanna shake things up they've gotta trade Matthews or Marner or Rielly because there are no other options for trades anymore. Kyle Dubas did everything that was asked of him, he added depth, grit, and leadership and he still got the same result. If Dubas wants to make moves, he's gotta make big ones.

What Now?

This was a very interesting few months for me. I decided I would write about every Leaf's game this season and I've gotta tell you sometimes it's difficult to do. Juggling school and this blog have been a challenge at times but I'll keep it up because I enjoy sports and writing about them so much.

I've watched so much hockey since January I'm not sure if I have the appetite to watch more. I can't guarantee that I'll be writing about rounds 2, 3, and 4 because I simply don't know if I can. When I watch the Leafs, I get excited I'm invested but it's just so hard to do that with other teams.

I'll keep writing all summer about the Jays, the Euro, Formula One, and whatever moves the Leafs make or don't make but I think I need a break. I was gearing myself up for a long month and a half of writing about playoff hockey but in all honesty, I'm at a loss for words. I'm going to need a bit of time off just to let things settle and allow myself to rest and come back in a week or two stronger than ever and with more energy because I'm spent.

Thanks

This was my first 6 months of writing about sports almost every day. This post is my 75th since the 15th of January but there's no way I could've been able to do this without some very important people. Obviously, my family has supported me as I begin my blog. Those who read my articles even though it may not interest them just to support my website, those who are interested in what I do, the 29 comment's I've gotten mean a lot too. I can't forget to mention my Aunt Judy who has taught me all about blogging and writing and who has edited every single one of my 75th posts since I began 6 months ago.

I'm going to miss writing about the Leafs that's for sure but as I said I'm going to keep writing all summer. 

For now, thank you for reading and supporting me. I'll take a break from writing for a while but I can't wait to get my energy back and continue writing.

If you wish to follow me on Twitter @sports_slaw that would mean a lot as well. I'll continue to post stuff there as much as I can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Got the Dub'

Leafland Right Now

Friday Offseason Checkup (NHL)